Road Department

The Road Department is responsible for the maintenance of township roads, which consist of all the roads except state highways (306 and 87) and county roads (Russell Road, Caves Road, Fairmount Road and Sperry Road).

The Department maintains approximately 55 miles of road. Some of the services which the Road Department provides are repair of roads with hot mix asphalt and cold patch, crack sealing, berming, roadside ditch cleaning and grading, snowplowing, sign maintenance, roadside mowing, cemetery internment, maintenanc

 e of cemetery drives, tree and brush trimming within road right-of-way, culvert maintenance and replacement, erosion control, and guardrail maintenance. 

Road Superintendent Gene Layne



Street Address:

15625 Chillicothe Road

Russell Township


Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 522

Novelty, OH 44072


Driveway culverts & pipes:  Any installation of pipe or other structure within the right-of-way, other than a driveway culvert, requires a permit which may be obtained by contacting the Road Superintendent. Driveway culvert pipes associated with new residences require special permits obtained from the Geauga County Engineer's Office.

The standard condition at the roadside is an open drainage ditch. Anyone wishing to eliminate the ditch by installing underground piping must obtain a permit from the Road Superintendent. Permits are granted on the basis of compliance with the right-of-way regulations, a copy of which may be obtained by calling the Road Department.    

Drainage Ditch Obstructions:  It is against Township right-of-way regulations to place any obstructions within drainage ditches. Please do not install stones of any kind within the roadside ditch as it can impair the flow of storm water. The ditches are designed to carry water from the roads and yards, and if stones are installed within the ditch it slows the flow and causes backup of storm water. This can cause problems for discharge lines of storm water and basement sump pumps which flow into these ditches. If you have a question about your roadside ditch or wish to discuss any sort of modifications, including piping, please contact the Road Department, Gene Layne at 338-5309.  

How can I have the road side ditch cleaned out?

You should call the Russell Road Department at 338-5309, unless:

•You live on State Routes 87 or 306, then you should call the Ohio Department of Transportation at 440-834-4441.

•You live on Caves Rd, Fairmount Rd, Russell Rd, or Sperry Rd, then you should call the Geauga County Engineer's Office at 440-564-7131, x-6300.

•You live on a private road, then the responsibility is with the owner(s).

Can I put tile in the road side ditch located in front of my property?

If you want to place tile in a road side ditch please review the regulations and permit application.  Submit the permit application by email, regular mail (see mailing address listed above), or by fax 440-338-6555.  If you have questions, call the Russell Township Road Department at 440-338-5309.  The proposed area for tiling will be inspected by the Russell Road Superintendent. There is no charge for the permit. After you install the tile, it becomes your responsibility to keep the tile cleaned out so the water will flow through it.